Thursday, February 10, 2011

A long way to Beverly Hills

I think I've been taking advantage of this last week of freedom.  Lots of ice cream and a hearty meal at the local Chinese buffet, and I've firmly packed on enough blubber to get me through the coldest winter.

Even though I feel like a walrus, I'm getting excited about starting P90X on Monday.  I watched a few a shit ton of YouTube results videos today and took some time to read over all of the instructional materials.  A few quick thoughts after the jump (I'll expand upon them in a later post, I'm sure).

  • I'm going to have to completely change the way I eat.  Like,  night and day.  I think one of the most difficult parts about the diet program, aside from cutting out every processed food that is absolutely delicious and irresistible, is the daily caloric requirement- 2,400 calories/day. That's a lot.  It seems almost counter-intuitive, doesn't it?  When I think of weight loss and fitness, I think of working out like a dog and eating like a supermodel.  But for my body to start working the way that I need it to to get the results I want, I have to put gas in the engine.  Training my body is going to be tough, but training my mind to think differently about what/when/how much I eat is going to be Nobel-worthy.
  • 90 days is a long time.  With a start date of February 14, my finish date is May 15.  I can't even imagine May 15 right now.  By May 15, I will have taken four sections of the CPA exam (that's not real life), finished graduate school (seriously, what?), and have a rockin' bod that makes onlookers faint.
    Since when did so much stuff happen in 90 days?  When did life start getting so real?
  • Whoa, y'all, I gotta change up my schedule.  Right now, my schedule is basically: class, TiVo, hours mindlessly searching the internet, homework procrastination, ice cream, thinking about doing CPA review work (I haven't exactly been winning the battle), looking at the clock- screaming when I realize it's 2 A.M., sleeping, waking up early to do homework (that I should have done the night before), rinse, wash, repeat.  How do I add in a little over an hour of exercise?  Time to cook food that doesn't come from the freezer aisle?  Time that I actually use productively?  Holy moly, I should probably take a little time to make a schedule.  Disconnect the cable.  Delete my internet browser.  Hire a nanny to take care of me.
Gross, enough of those bullet points.

The weights I ordered should arrive tomorrow.  They were a bit of an investment, but I'm pretty pumped.  I ordered the PowerBlock Sport 5.0 adjustable dumbbells.  They're each adjustable from 5-50 lbs. and occupy about as much space as two 45 lb. dumbbells.  The listed price was $299 (I ended up spending a little more, apparently shipping a 100 lb. package across the country is a huge inconvenience to UPS, and they find it absolutely necessary to charge me a year of tuition in shipping).  Assuming I keep up with the program, I think that the weights were a good investment.  The weight range is perfect for every exercise I'll be doing, and I don't think I'll grow out of them any time soon.
I'll post a full review of the weights once I've gone on a few dates with them.  Hopefully they dress to impress, I hate a sloppy date.

Sunday night is the night of reckoning: pre-program weigh-in, measurements, and photos.  Ohmygosh, I'm freaking out.  I said I would post pictures on Day 1, but I'm seriously considering holding off until at least Day 15/Day 30, when some sort of progress can be seen.  We'll see how ballsy I feel.  Regardless, tomorrow the clothes come off and the cameras do their work.  Sort of saucy sounding, right?  I'm really excited for the way I'll look on Day 90, not Day 1.

With all of that being said, I'm off to watch The Office and eat a cupcake.  I have until Monday, and I fully intend to enjoy every day until then.  It really is going to be a long way until I get to Beverly Hills, y'all.

-Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment